The purpose of this course is provide public safety personnel with the knowledge and skills necessary to de-escalate crisis situations involving persons with mental illness or behavior disorders. Participants will learn a set of assessment skills, intervention and communication strategies, and measured tactical responses that reduce or eliminate the need to use force to achieve compliance.
This is a grant-funded 8-hour course that is Minnesota POST accredited.
Course content includes:
- Common mental illnesses and behavior disorders
- Stress-related conditions such as post-traumatic stress (PTS) and traumatic brain injury (TBI) from military combat experience or the effects of severe and repeated trauma
- Strategies to assess and effectively relate to persons in crisis
- Alternative Dispute Resolution tactics
- Measured response theory
- Communication skills that form the basis for de-escalation techniques (delete?)
- Minnesota resources for persons in crisis and their families
Contact Bill Micklus, Associate Director, at [email protected] or 651-287-7443 if you would like more information about this training.