Alternative Dispute Resolution for Law Enforcement Safety & Effectiveness
This course develops officers’ awareness and communication skills and teaches “pre-escalation” techniques that help to keep disputes from growing into crisis situations. This 2-day interactive class utilizes law enforcement scenarios and case studies to support each training module. Course content includes:
- Tools of influence - getting what we want
- Interest-based negotiation vs. distributive negotiations
- On-the-ground, street level mediation
- Rational choice model
- Effective interpersonal communication
- Conflict analysis
- Removing emotions from problem solving
Officers who attend the course will learn to
- Use alternative dispute resolution tools
- Increase the capacity to understand interests and develop options
- Build relationships through information mediation when speaking with citizens
- Guard against implicit biases
- Use problem solving techniques
- Apply pre-escalation strategies and tactics
This training is available on a fee for service basis.
Contact Bill Micklus, Associate Director, at [email protected] or 651-287-7443 if you would like more information about this training.
This Web site is funded in whole or in part through a grant from the Bureau of Justice Assistance, Office of Justice Programs, U.S. Department of Justice. Neither the U.S. Department of Justice nor any of its components operate, control, are responsible for, or necessarily endorse, this Web site (including, without limitation, its content, technical infrastructures, and policies, and any services or tools provided).